Friday, April 14, 2006

Ball Park Dogs


I’m on my way to becoming a baseball fan (collective gasp). There are two primary factors involved in this sudden and unforeseen turn of events.

The first reason is this little thing called “Fantasy Baseball”, you may have heard of it before. A few people are playing it now. And if fantasy sports have taught us anything, it’s that they can turn even the most indifferent sports fan into an interested onlooker (at the very least). And a mere week and a half into my first Fantasy Baseball season, I’m already liking baseball more and more. And even if I still don’t really enjoy it all that much, I have to have SOMETHING to fill the void between the end of March Madness and the start of the College and NFL Football seasons (and to break up the monotonous eternity that becomes the NBA Playoffs).

The second reason is inspired by my experience the other night. I had the opportunity to attend a Double-A Minor League game. Chattanooga’s very own Lookouts, versus the Mudcats from… some other city not big enough to have an MLB or even a Triple-A team… Anyways, it was the first game I had been to in a while, and it was fun.




I should note that the quality of my experience was much aided by the fact that my tickets were A) Free, and B) for a Box-suite. These tickets were provided, most graciously, by our team Doc. And so, never being the group to turn down anything free, our little group of Athletic Training students headed to the park. And let’s be honest, there’s always something especially “gratis-fying” about enjoying entertainment or fine dining on someone else’s tab (although I must admit I’ve been on the other end of this coin one too many times). When it’s Box-seats, it’s taken to a whole ‘nother level. Personal service, free chips and salsa, and an air-conditioned room with bar stools and tables sitting next to a column of sliding doors. Nothing quite like sitting in the open air with an air-conditioned room at your back (only in America my friends).

There are just a few things about going to the Park that can’t be fully explained, but since I’m writing this article, I guess I’ll have to try.

First off, you’ve got the foul balls. In his book, ‘Now I Can Die in Peace’, Bill Simmons of ESPN’s Page 2 has a segment where he talks about his experiences with foul balls. His lack of luck in ever catching one, certain sections of Fenway that are ideal for catching fly balls, etc. I understood what he was talking about it, but now I KNOW what he means.

As soon as a ball starts flying foul, there is a kid-like desire awoken inside of anyone with a pulse that makes us all want to be the one to catch it. But with our suite being behind and to the right of home plate, and under the overhanging roof, I thought our chances were slim-to-none of seeing a foul ball. In fact, I explained to my boy JoNo that the angle between the roof and the net shielding the crowd made the chances almost incalculable small. “We’re not getting any foul balls up here (in our sweet-suite seats)”, I confidently explained.

Seconds later, a foul ball pops into the stands 10 fee to our left, at the same level as our seats. Luck.

I raise my eyebrows and pretend it never happened.

Two innings later the unthinkable happens. A ball comes slicing off a home-team bat and spins just over the netting and under the roofing directly for our suite. By the time we see it coming it’s too late. Disaster strikes! One of our friends, Erin, gets hit smack dab in the head by the foul ball. Thankfully it’s a glancing blow that is mostly absorbed by here sun-glasses. Irony.

Now the Dictionary in my Sweet-Mac defines irony as: ‘a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often amusing as a result’. Well, I define irony as: ‘A fly ball hitting a friend of mine in the head minutes after I explain how impossible the angle would have to be, and when the group of people in attendance happens to consist of 15 Athletic Training students and one Certified Athletic Trainer.’

Moments later a stadium worker comes up to make sure she’s okay, at this point we’ve given here five Cranial Nerve tests and 3 complete concussion evaluations, but thanks for asking…

There’s another thing about being at the park that makes it memorable, beyond the actual events of the game. There’s the camaraderie, and the enjoyment of recently created inside jokes (which may or may not be funny).

Like when the Lookouts hit a long, hard ball directly to center. The ball hits 2/3 of the way up the green wall at center field that inexplicably sits 8 Feet higher than the rest of the wall, and Rickie and I simultaneously exclaim, “Stopped by the Green-Monster!”

“The Green Monster” we echo ourselves… “Anywhere but Fenwa…. Er… BELL SOUTH PARK!” I add as we crack up at ourselves!


And then there’s always the personal attack on players. This is especially fun at a Minor-League game because no one knows any of the players before you get to the park. So all of your jokes are guaranteed to be original (even if they don’t even approach being truly funny) to the audience present.

“Votto, your BOY!” I joke with JoNo as the first batter comes to the plate (and yes, I got this habit from you, Lewis).

“What, just because his name ends in vowel, he’s my boy?!” says JoNo defensively, thinking I was making a joke about his Italian heritage, when in reality I just felt like saying something… (it should be noted that later Gary Patchett would become my boy because it sounded like a nice, white-christian name).

But my personal favorite player had to be Alex Sanchez (you know where this is going). Not afraid to approach the racial line, I immediately start to muse about the possibility of his nickname being Alex “Dirty” Sanchez. This of course evolves into “Deer-tay” (as in Joe Deer-tay) and the Legend is born. Every time we go to a Lookouts game this summer (and hopefully we’ll get a few more games in the box seats!), we’ll remember our boy Alex “Deer-tay” Sanchez. That’s just another day at the park for you.

And so what I have learned from this experience, which has produced an almost three-page article for this fine sports-forum? Sometimes you had to be there. And in baseball’s case, you USUALLY had to be there. But when you give it the opportunity (or when the opportunity is handed to you), it’s an experience worth having. So beg, burrow, buy or schmooze a ticket. Grab yourself a dog and even (gasp!) a beer, and take yourself out to the ball game…

14 comments:

Lewis said...

Nice to see that my presence is still being felt in Chattanooga. Also, glad to hear that you are becoming a baseball fan it was long-overdue. I'll start leaning on Ek and James to get them to post stuff.

Anonymous said...

Mark, glad to see you getting on board (or, better yet, on the booooooooooooaaaarrrrdddd...yes!!!) the baseball bandwagon. Welcome to America, my friend.

The other cool thing about baseball is, since you at least can see a game almost every day, you can get a really good sense of player's personalities, attitudes, ticks, etc. if you follow a team, and the local radio and tv guys are almost like personal friends. (I actually teared up a little bit when I realized John Rooney wasn't doing Sox games this season).

And I'm pretty sure that it IS physically impossible for a foul ball to get to where my Sox tickets are this year...

Lewis said...

Ek...you have Sox tickets? How many games? I'm so jealous (not for Sox tickets persay, but I was contemplating a 20 game ticket package purchase for the Braves even though I live 8 hours away from the ATL).

Lewis said...

BTW...you need to update the links - the 2nd article link doesn't work anymore...Just trying to make this site better (since I refer my friends to it on my facebook profile).

Mac said...

you'll all be glad to know that the Links have been fixed. one half of a pair of quotation marks in the wrong place actually managed to ruin not one, but TWO links. so check them out...

ps anyone wondering why we still have adead link to the "free anyong" link, well... GO TO HELL FOX, that's why...

Anonymous said...

Screw Fox. Yeah, I bought the "Ozzie Plan," so I have two upper deck tickets to 13 games, of which I'll probably make it to 8 or 9 and stubhub the rest (which should be feasable now that the Sox are drawing crowds to pretty much all of their games). The only bad news is I didn't buy them until January (which was apparently on the late side), so I don't get dibs on playoff tickets. Maybe next year. Unless I'm in grad school next year, in which case I'll be happy if I can afford to go to two or three games.

It may be a little early to talk about playoff tickets, especially for 2007. It looks like I will have a chance to watch the Bulls get mauled by Detroit or Miami if I get on top of it quick, though.

Oh, and sorry about the non-use of my blogger profile to post on these. I'm at my parent's house for the weekend (it's Easter and my Mom is having knee replacement surgery), so I'm not getting logged in automatically and don't remember my password. Although I thought I did remember it. I think blogspot messed up. I swear, if more than 15 people read this I would look into getting our own server. I'm not saying I would do it...but I'd think about it.

So, any word from Puta James?

Mac said...

ekwall, when's your mom having her knee replacement surgery? give her my best wishes, and, while i'm asking, any extra tickets to that Easter brunch again this year? :) have fun, and say hello to everyone in Casa Del Ekwall for me.

Lewis said...

Ek...praying for your mom. Pass on my best wishes for her, and tell your dad that I can't wait until FF so I can end the jinx.

Ek said...

My Mom had the surgery on Good Friday, so there wasn't really an Easter Brunch this year. In fact, the whole Easter weekend was a little strange. The day after was pretty rough, but she's doing a lot better now. Your prayers are appreciated. The only issue now is getting through rehab. She's also heavily medicated, which actually makes her a riot to be around.

r said...

Ek, hey just browsing the site trying to avoid working on one of my countless project. Tell your Mom my family wishes her the best as she recovers from surgery. Also, Mac welcome to baseball. I turned my fiance into a baseball fan and she's a die-hard Cub fan now (which Ek, means she hates the Sox like they were the plague). Considering she loves other sports like hockey and baseball it was easy to get her into is and she loves having a team now after coming from Atlanta where, apparently, they were a little fed up seeing their boys lose year in the playoffs year after year.

Lewis said...

Robert P.
I don't know you. I assume you are a good guy bc you know Ek, so I'm going to let that comment about the fans in ATL being sick of losing every year in the post-season pass. I'm a huge Braves fan (first live game was in 1988 back when they were terrible for my 6th birthday cheering on the likes of Dale Murphy, etc). Anyways, if your girlfriend was sick of being a winner with the Braves, she couldn't have found a better team to turn to than the Cubs (and yes I'm overly sensitive when fans and media talk about the Braves as if they weren't a success). If I hadn't retired from the Tavern, I'd be cranking out "articles" about how their run is the most underappreciated record in sports history, and why the Mets won't win the pennant this year bc their record is over-inflated thanks to playing their first 3 series against the Nats and the Fish. I should stop writing before this gets too long. Like I said, no hard feelings, but be careful what you say about my Braves...

Ek said...

Thanks Rob. I will pass that along. The surgery went well and my mom is recovering fine, but it's going to be a long rehab process (think Rex Grossman-ish). And I can vouch that Rob is a good guy, although I'm not sure how you could profess to love someone and also saddle them with the years of agony that being a Cubs fan entails...I mean, it's too late for you, but you don't have to drag other people in it. Ok, I'm not hanging out with Emily tomorrow, so if I don't post something by the end of the day, feel free to ride up to Chicago on a bicycle and kick my ass (I am stealing an expression from James, since he will not notice).

Mac said...

Ek, first of all, i guess it's time for all of us to get on our little bicycles!

secondly, your mom's rehab should go faster than Grossman's (at than his ACL rehab, not necessarily than coming back from his broken foot). it's not fun at first, but knee replacements usually bounce back really well.

now come on, post a freakin' article.

Anonymous said...

Mark, this was one of the most entertaining sports articles I've ever read (Sports Guy included) mainly due to the two following lines:

"I raise my eyebrows and pretend it never happened."

"at this point we’ve given her five Cranial Nerve tests and 3 complete concussion evaluations, but thanks for asking…"

Seriously, high comedy. Way to be. I'm glad you'll be in Wheaton this summer... maybe we can go see a Kane County Cougars game. Since neither of us is really in the "Cubs or Sox tickets" financial situation. Dang richies!!

Eric